Music Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980) (about Loretta Lynn)
View one of the movies listed below, or any other fictionalized film about the life of a popular music band or artist (not a live concert, or a satire). Write a 750 word minimum essay contextualizing the movie within the matrix of concepts, personalities, and music examined in this course. In general, think of this essay as a ?critical analysis? in which you need to explain the points you are asserting. In this way, the assignment is an ?argumentative? essay.
Please address the following points:
- Give a brief (1 paragraph) biographical sketch of the principal character musician.
- Socially and musically, how is principal character/musician portrayed?
- How did the racial and/or class backgrounds of the principal character/musician affect their involvement in music?
- What historical phase of the development of American popular music does the principal character/musician belong to?
- How does their life and music reflect the issues we?ve examined in relation to that historical phase?
- When citing or paraphrasing sources, make sure to include a bibliographical citation (either in a footnote or in a parenthetical citation) and include a bibliography at the end of your essay.
- Possible movies:
- The Glen Miller Story (1953)
- The Benny Goodman Story (1955)
- Lady Sings the Blues (1972) (about Billie Holliday)
- Bound for Glory (1976) (about Woodie Guthrie)
- The Buddy Holly Story (1978)
- Coal Miner’s Daughter (1980) (about Loretta Lynn)
- Sid & Nancy (1986) (about Sid Vicious)
- Round Midnight (1986) (about Dexter Gordon)
- La Bamba (1987) (about Ritchie Valens)
- Bird (1988) (about Charlie Parker)
- The Doors (1991) (about the California group)
- The Mambo Kings (1992) (about the Castillo brothers)
- What?s Love Got To Do With It (1993) (about Tina Turner)
- Selena (1997) (about Selena Quintanilla-Perez)
- Sweet and Lowdown (1999) (about Emmet Ray)
- For Love or Country (2001) (about Arturo Sandoval)
- Standing in the Shadows of Motown (2002) (about the Funk Brothers)
- Ray (2004) (about Ray Charles)
- De-lovely (2004) (about Cole Porter)
- Walk the Line (2005) (about Johnny Cash)
- I’m Not There (2007) (about Bob Dylan)
- El Cantate (2007) (about Hector Lavoe)
- Cadillac Records (2008) (about Chess Records)
- Others? Email Dr. Walton with questions about other possible movies.